June is Men’s Health Month! This month, we will be doing a social media challenge called #GiveMeAnHour! We are encouraging men (and everyone) to take at least one hour for themselves, doing some sort of fun physical activity, and connecting with at least one other person while doing so! The reason for this challenge is to encourage men to be healthy–both mentally and physically by being active and by supporting one another through stressful times.We also invite you to do the challenge on your own, and tag your friends!
The rules are simple:
• Gather a small group (2-4 people)
• Practice safe physical distancing
• Go do something fun like walking, hiking, biking, riding horses or motorcycles, fishing, or target shooting, just have fun.
• Post a video/photo with #givemeanhour
• Challenge others to “give me an hour” by calling them out in your video, or tagging them in you post.
While mental illnesses like depression affect both men and women, men are less likely to have received mental health treatment than women in the past year. Men are also more likely to die by suicide than women, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That is why encouraging men to take care of their health is so important—maybe now more than ever as we are all experiencing a lot more stress than usual.